Happy Native American Heritage Month!
November 1 – 30, 2021
Native American Heritage Month is celebrated each year to recognize the achievements and contributions of indigenous people across the United States. Sci-Tech is joining the celebration this year by highlighting awesome contributions in STEM made by American Indians and Alaska Natives throughout history to modern day during our Daily Discoveries and Pre-K Science Time. Stop by weekly Tuesday – Friday at 11am or 1pm for Daily Discoveries and Nov. 9th and 23rd at 10am for Pre-K Science Time to try a FREE* hands-on experiment or activity while learning about one of these amazing discoveries and inventions.
To learn more about Native American Heritage Month, you can visit https://www.ncai.org/initiatives/native-american-heritage-month or https://nativeamericanheritagemonth.gov/.
The building that we call home at Sci-Tech Discovery Center resides on land that was originally settled and occupied by Indigenous Peoples of Kiikaapoi (Kickapoo), Jumanos, Tawakoni and Wichita tribes as well as those of which we may no longer know the name. If you would like to learn more about the history of the land where you live, visit https://native-land.ca/.
Want to continue learning at home? Check out these great resources:
- Native American and Indigenous Representation in STEM Statistics: https://blog.eie.org/native-american-and-indigenous-representation-in-stem-where-are-we-now
- Native American STEM Trailblazers to Know: http://teachers.egfi-k12.org/native-american-stem/ and http://teachers.egfi-k12.org/native-american-heritage-month/
- National Indian Education Association: https://www.niea.org/
- American Indian Science and Engineering Society: https://www.aises.org/
- Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science: https://www.sacnas.org/
*Daily Discoveries are FREE with regular museum admission.